Well, Saturday sure was exciting. Our favorite team in green and gold did not play, but the day went almost perfectly for the Bears. TCU very nearly lost at Kansas, Arizona State got exposed as overrated, Ohio State looked sloppy against powerhouse Minnesota, who will surely drop out of the Top 25, and Oklahoma won by enough that they should be back in the Top 25. Florida State came back to win...again and Mississippi State scored in garbage time to make their shellacking by Alabama look respectable. I'll get into more detail on these teams later. For now, the Big 12!
10. Iowa St. Cyclones (+0)
The Cyclones avoided Oakland, 93-82, on Friday night in Ames.
9. Texas Tech Red Raiders (-1)
Goodness Tech, y'all are awful. Kliff's seat isn't hot, but it has to be warm.
8. Kansas Jayhawks (+1)
Hire Clint Bowen. Do it. Right now. Kansas gave a valiant effort in their near-upset of TCU. The Jayhawks certainly do not have the talent to compete at the highest level in the Big 12 and likely will not for a while, but Bowen has his men on the right track
7. Oklahoma State Cowboys (+0)
Oklahoma State has one of the worst offenses in the Big 12. Baylor has one of the best defenses.
6. West Virginia Mountaineers (+0)
The 'Eers were on a bye week.
5. Texas Longhorns (+0)
The Stronghorns looked, dare I say, impressive against Okie State. The defense held OSU to all of nine first downs and 192 yards while the offense put up a healthy 430 yards and 28 points. I said on Twitter over the weekend and I'll repeat it here: What Strong has done to get this Texas team to a bowl game is almost a miracle. Now, go beat TCU and then crush aggy in a bowl game (I actually think UT would have an excellent match-up here; they've got the defense and running game to beat aggy).
4. Oklahoma Sooners (+0)
The Sooners nearly got beaten twice by Baylor. Stoops and his team lacked any motivation through the first half in Lubbock. Thankfully, they remembered that Tech has a running defense that is made of aluminium foil and ran all over the Raiders in the second half to win comfortably. The Sooners should jump back into the Top 25 (that they never should have fell from in the first place) this week in order to give Baylor another "quality" win. With only Kansas and Okie State left, the Sooners should be able to run the table and maybe break the Top 20.
3. Kansas State Wildcats (+0)
After being embarrassed by TCU, the Snydercats took the week off to recuperate and prepare for a fight in Morgantown.
2. TCU Horned Frogs (+0)
Ohhhhhhh TCU. Still think you're better than Baylor? Let's look at the stats.
Against common opponents (and each other): Baylor 4-1 48 ppg, 25 papg (23 margin), TCU 4-1, 43 ppg, 31 papg (12 margin).— Therm (@thermhere) November 15, 2014
That includes Baylor beating OU and KU by a combined 80 points to TCU's 8. Not to mention, Patterson's darling Minnesota lost again. There is absolutely no reason for TCU to be ahead of Baylor at this point.
1. Baylor Bears (+0)
Baylor is the best in Texas and one of the four best teams in the nation.
Final Four and Top Ten:
The Final Four Right Now:
1. Oregon Ducks - The Ducks were off this week, but this still hold quality wins over Michigan State, UCLA, and Utah. Still not sure how they lost to Arizona, but the Ducks look good right now.
2. Alabama Crimson Tide - The score against Mississippi State looked closer than the game actually was. Bama rolled over the Bulldogs. The Tide don't necessarily have many quality wins (MSU is the only on that's still in the Top 25), but they have looked impressive regardless.
3. Baylor Bears - The Bears have wins against TCU and OU and have a more impressive resume when put up against TCU, FSU, MSU, and Ohio State. I've already discussed why Baylor is above TCU. They're above FSU because while the Noles are undefeated, they have zero Top 25 wins and have looked positively "meh" in the majority of their games. Mississippi State's best win is the same as Alabama and their OOC schedule is somehow even worse than Baylor's. tOSU lost to Virginia Tech at home. There's no escaping that.
4. TCU Horned Frogs - Frogs looked terrible against Kansas, but they do hold a better victory and an arguably better loss than Mississippi State. Ohio State has a slightly better victory, but a much, much worse loss.
The Final Four at the End of the Season:
1. Alabama Crimson Tide - If the Tide win the SEC, they'll get the top slot because ESS EEE SEEEEEE.
2. Oregon Ducks - Win the Pac-12 and they're in. Winning is never a guaranteed thing in the Pac-12 though.
3. Baylor Bears - There's no way you can keep out the Big 12 Champion. Right?
4. Ohio State Buckeyes - Florida State loses to Florida in Muschamp's final act as the Florida head coach. The Buckeye's conference championship gives them the nod over TCU, as stupid as that is.
The Top Ten:
1. Oregon Ducks
2. Alabama Crimson Tide
3. Baylor Bears
4. TCU Horned Frogs
5. Ohio State Buckeyes
6. Mississippi State Bulldogs
7-10. Some combination of K-State, Michigan State, and I have no idea who else.
Not Top Ten: Florida State. I just don't think they are that good, despite being undefeated. Come at me.