Since I already pasted a few tweets in this morning's DBR and I know people don't like it when I just do that over and over again, we'll try a more narrative approach. From everything tweeted by @BUFootball, @BaylorAthletics, and numerous reporters/correspondents there for the tour and celebration, we've received the following details worthy of note:
- Judge Starr announced that Baylor has reached $104 million in private philanthropy for the stadium project, a significant amount and one of the major goals of the fundraising activities.
- Baylor reports 1,500 new season ticket sales for this season (2013) as people jostle to secure seats for 2014 and the new stadium. Plus, winning helps.
- The stadium is currently ~21% completed, on schedule for the main components to be finished by the end of this year with finishes lasting through next summer. The stadium will be ready for play in August 2014.
- The scoreboard that I have nicknamed The Ursatron will be somewhere between 4,500 square feet and a much more precise number of 5,018 tweeted today by a reporter on the scene. I imagine he got that from a release of some kind, but I don't think that number has been finalized. The difference is between being the 11th biggest in CFB and the 12th. Our scoreboard now is just over 700 square feet.
- Baylor Stadium will have 4 times as many concession stands as FCS and 5 times as many bathrooms.
- About 250 workers are on-site every day, six days a week, at this point. When peak construction begins, there will be nearly 600 every day. As hard as it is to believe, smaller tasks take more people.
- Random construction notes: 1129 pilings driven, 220,000 cubic yards of dirt moved, 1,400 customized bricks sold so far, 33 million gallons of water in the lagoon drained.
- Associated Baylor accounts have tweeted a number of pictures from the tour, including a view from the east side of the U, the lagoon, and inside the stadium loop. There is also a neat comparison set of images pointing in and out of the open endzone to/from campus itself.
- Baylor's Media Communications account posted a short video of the construction.
- KXXV in Waco/Temple/Killeen will have video from the stadium site at 6 and 10 tonight, per their twitter account.
- Finally, Baylor is going to don throwbacks for the final game this coming season against Texas. Briles said he didn't know if Texas would do the same and didn't care.
- Oh, 479 days left.
Official release from Baylor about today's frivolities.