Well, that was disappointing. Your Baylor Bears dropped their first game of the season this morning/afternoon to the Colorado Buffaloes, who did absolutely everything in their own power to give the game away. Colorado overcame missing 14 free throws to beat the Bears 60-58. There's a lot to talk about with this game, but I'll just mention a few things of note:
- Miraculously down 2 with the ball, we ended up somehow giving it to A.J. Walton with the game on the line. He predictably bricked a layup in front of two Colorado posts and Baylor didn't get the same chance again until a full-court pass gave Isaiah Austin a Laettner-like opportunity that he also missed.
- Our guards were almost uniformly awful in this game, particularly Brady Heslip. He needs to get his mess figured out fast.
- It's too early to say that this team is overrated or make any sweeping value judgments simply because we lost a game, but it isn't to say that we have problems when Pierre Jackson doesn't play well. He looked tired, so the offense looked tired. We didn't shoot well, maybe because it was our second game in 24 hours, and Colorado out-worked us on offense and defense. The aforementioned free throws were the only reason this was really a game at all. Colorado deserves a lot of credit for the defense they played, and for their offensive rebounding.
Cory Jefferson came back big from his poor performance yesterday, but we didn't get him the ball nearly as much as I felt like we could. Why did we go away from him when he was playing well?
- Our three guard lineup with Jackson, Heslip, and Walton needs to go away. I trust Bello with those two more than Walton by a longshot. Maybe even Taurean Prince, as well.
- There's going to be growing pains in a team that uses four freshmen often. Ricardo Gathers' offensive game is a work-in-progress. L.J. Rose looks overwhelmed at times by the speed of college play. Taurean Prince is still figuring out what his role will be. Austin is incredible and should only get better, but the others need time. We've already seen a glimpse of the upside of this team, and we're probably not going to get that every time out, but we're probably also not going to be as bad as we were today. This loss was a team effort.
- Nobody uglies up a game like Higgins.
|Askia Booker, G||8-18||2-6||1-2||0||1||3||3||0||3||2||19|
|Spencer Dinwiddie, G||4-7||2-3||1-5||1||6||0||1||1||2||2||11|
|Josh Scott, F||4-7||0-0||1-2||1||3||0||0||0||1||2||9|
|Andre Roberson, F||3-10||1-4||0-5||3||13||1||1||1||1||2||7|
|Sabatino Chen, G||2-4||0-0||0-0||1||4||1||1||0||1||2||4|
|Xavier Johnson, F||3-6||0-0||1-4||2||6||1||0||1||5||3||7|
|Eli Stalzer, G||1-1||1-1||0-0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||3|
|Xavier Talton, G||0-0||0-0||0-0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Shane Harris-Tunks, F-C||0-2||0-1||0-0||3||4||0||1||0||3||2||0|
|Cory Jefferson, F||7-8||0-0||3-3||3||8||0||0||3||0||1||17|
|Pierre Jackson, G||3-11||1-6||5-8||0||3||1||3||0||3||3||12|
|Isaiah Austin, C||3-12||1-2||1-4||4||10||1||0||0||1||3||8|
|Brady Heslip, G||3-9||1-5||0-0||0||1||0||1||0||1||1||7|
|A.J. Walton, G||1-6||0-0||1-1||1||5||4||2||0||5||3||3|
|Deuce Bello, G||3-7||0-1||0-0||2||2||0||2||0||0||2||6|
|L.J. Rose, G||1-1||0-0||1-2||0||2||0||0||0||1||1||3|
|Rico Gathers, F||1-3||0-0||0-0||0||3||0||0||0||1||4||2|
|Taurean Prince, F||0-0||0-0||0-0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||0|
|Gary Franklin, G||0-3||0-2||0-0||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||0|