Baylor wrapped up its weekly press conference with Briles and several players a few minutes ago, and one of the big topics of discussion, in addition to some hilarious tangent I'm still trying to track down about waking up grandmas in the crowd, was our injury situation.
Rather than embed all the tweets here I've already retweeted, I'll summarize the latest injury news we've heard as of today with my take on what the program is feeling right now:
- QB Bryce Petty -- CAUTIOUS OPTIMISM -- Several positive signs for how Petty is feeling at this point today, including an apparent statement from Briles that he expects our senior QB to play on Friday night. Still, they've stopped short of saying it will definitely happen and will watch his status over the next couple of days of practice.
- WR Antwan Goodley -- CAUTIOUS OPTIMISM -- A lot of the same feeling with Goodley, it seems. AT one point, Briles said that he expects everyone but Levi and Clay to play before backing off a bit.
- WR Corey Coleman -- EXPECTED TO PLAY -- Sounds like he's come a long way in recent weeks and will take the field for the first time on Friday night. He was not discussed as a "question mark" the same way Goodley was.
- TE Tre'Von Armstead -- EXPECTED TO PLAY -- Armstead suited up for Saturday's game and then didn't play. He's expected to return from a minor knee injury this week in Buffalo.
- RB Devin Chafin -- DOUBTFUL -- Still recovering from a high ankle sprain. Look for Rashodrick Linwood and Johnny Jefferson to get most of the work again this week with Silas Nacita spelling them late.
As far as I know, that's it. I didn't include WRs Clay Fuller or Levi Norwood because they weren't in question. Both are out for another couple of weeks, at least, with their probable returns looking like the game week against Iowa State.
From the video, which you can watch above, it sounds like Baylor understands the task ahead of it traveling across the country and isn't taking Buffalo lightly despite being heavily favored. Hopefully that bears out, we get a few guys back, and the team takes another step forward moving into Big 12 play. Just a reminder, we have a bye week before we play Iowa State two weeks from this Saturday.