Post-Game Coverage from ODB:
The Big News:
Jarrett Stidham aced his first test as Baylor QB in a place that Briles hates to play against a team designed to frustrate every aspect of our team. He was amazing, and I've already started seeing some of the "narrative" turn with respect to whether Baylor has the QB it needs to make a run.
Players of the Game:
Jarrett Stidham -- 23/33 for 419 yards and 3 TDs passing, 1 TD rushing
Corey Coleman -- 11 catches for 216 yards and 2 TDs
KD Cannon -- 4 catches for 108 yards and 1 TD
I normally trust the defensive stats on BaylorBears.com pretty faithfully, but I don't for this game considering they show Shawn Oakman as having zero tackles for loss. I'm 100% sure that's not true. I'm 80% sure he should get credit for half a sack, too.
5 More Thoughts:
- Baylor led 28-10 going into the fourth quarter and, in my opinion, turtled after that content to eek out a win. While I hate the approach because it's backfired on us before, I also understand it. But understanding does not mean agreeing, and I don't think it was the right call to stop the run blitzes that had served us so well in the second and third quarters, in the fourth. That's how KSU got their points late.
- The holding call on LaQuan McGowan that took away what should have been a TD drive to make it 38-24 was 100% bogus. Think about how much better you'd feel having beaten KSU by 14 in Manhattan behind a freshman QB. Now realize that should have happened, anyway. Another bogus call was the combination no-call and hands-in-the-face with Taylor Young on Joe Hubener's long TD. At worst, it should have been offsetting penalties with no play. At best, it's a holding call on KSU pushing them back ten yards.
- Corey Coleman now has 20 TDs on the season through 8 games, meaning he needs 8 more in at least 5 games to get the NCAA record. Make of that what you will.
- As Therm tweeted last night, since 2000, 8 QBs have thrown for 419 yards in a road game on 33 or fewer attempts. Stidham is the only freshman. Cherry-picked stats? Sure. But still meaningful.
- I don't know why KSU ever threw a pass.
I'm going to spare you guys an updated Top 10 after just one game (ours). Check back on Sunday.
Links Links Links Links Links Links:
No. 2 Football Stays Perfect with 31-24 Victory at K-State - Baylor Official Athletic Site
Making his first collegiate start, Baylor true freshman quarterback Jarrett Stidham threw for 419 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for another as the second-ranked Bears escaped with a 31-24 road win over the upset-minded Kansas State Wildcats Thursday night at Snyder Family Stadium.
Carlton: Why Jarrett Stidham was the least of Baylor's worries by the end of his first start | Dallas Morning News
MANHATTAN, Kan. -- At the end, Jarrett Stidham was the least of Baylor worries.
Stidham shines in 1st career start, fueling 31-24 Baylor win over pesky Wildcats - WacoTrib.com: Baylor Bears Football
MANHATTAN, Kan. — Handed the keys to the Ferrari, Baylor freshman quarterback Jarrett Stidham looked like he was born to sit behind the wheel.
True freshman Jarrett Stidham shines as Baylor holds off K-State late - Big 12 Blog - ESPN
CFP committee members had to at least come away impressed with Baylor true freshman quarterback Jarrett Stidham, who shined in his first career start.
Baylor's high-powered offense in good hands with Jarrett Stidham
If you want to know what Baylor really thinks of Jarrett Stidham — and how the Bears will fare with their true freshman now installed as starting quarterback — look past the statistics. He
National reaction: Baylor QB Jarrett Stidham can lead the Bears to the Playoff | Dallas Morning News
No. 6 Baylor football moved to 8-0 on the season after a tight 31-24 win over Kansas State on Thursday in Manhattan, Kan.
Baylor beats Kansas State in Jarrett Stidham's debut - College Football - SI.com
Baylor remained undefeated with a road win over Kansas State on Thursday night. The high-powered Bears offense kept on humming with true freshman Jarrett Stidham making his first career start in place of Seth Russell.
TWEETS TWEETS TWEETS TWEETS TWEETS TWEETS:
walking into work on a friday after a baylor win like ... pic.twitter.com/6VaO1LsfCW
— nick pants (@nick_pants) November 6, 2015
That's about it among stuff I haven't already posted. Have a good Friday, everybody!