NOTE: This week's CFB Playoff Ranking show will take place at 6:00 PM CST on ESPN2, so set your dials accordingly.
Much has happened since we gathered a week ago to find out that TCU had made its way into the CFB Playoff picture officially (as of that week): #1 Mississippi State fell in Tuscaloosa to then-#5 Alabama; #3 FSU was taken to the wire by unranked Miami before ultimately pulling out another win; #6 Arizona State lost their second game of the season, this time to unranked Oregon State; #4 TCU very nearly lost in Lawrence to unranked Kansas, and #8 Ohio State knocked #25 Minnesota out of the rankings again in Minnesota. All of those games could have tremendous impacts on the rankings released today.
For the sake of argument, I'll go ahead and give you my prediction for tonight's rankings, which will be in this post as soon as they are available.
On the Cusp
Those are the 7 teams that have any kind of a chance at this point to make the CFB Playoff. For anyone else, say UCLA, to make it requires either a slew of losses or something really weird to happen with the Committee's methodology.
I'm waving my hands a bit on which teams go where, but I feel pretty confident about the groupings themselves. I don't see Mississippi State falling out of the top 4 despite their loss, although this arrangement would set the stage for a rematch with Alabama (1v4). I'm not sure we know how the Committee really feels about that yet.
As I said a week ago and will say on Twitter again, please do not freak out if we are behind TCU again, or if we are behind Ohio State this time around. Win out and get left out, and we can start up the ragewagon.
Here's the Latest Ranking
21. Oklahoma 22. Clemson 23. Nebraska 24. Louisville 25. Minnesota— CFB Playoff (@CFBPlayoff) November 19, 2014
16. Wisconsin 17. Utah 18. Georgia Tech 19. Southern Cal 20. Missouri— CFB Playoff (@CFBPlayoff) November 19, 2014
11. Michigan State 12. Kansas State 13. Arizona State 14. Auburn 15. Arizona— CFB Playoff (@CFBPlayoff) November 19, 2014
8. Mississippi 9. UCLA 10. Georgia— CFB Playoff (@CFBPlayoff) November 19, 2014
5. TCU 6. Ohio State 7. Baylor— CFB Playoff (@CFBPlayoff) November 19, 2014
1. Alabama 2. Oregon 3. Florida State 4. Mississippi State pic.twitter.com/yJlVxuRStz— CFB Playoff (@CFBPlayoff) November 19, 2014