1) Oklahoma (5-0, 2-0)- The Sooners are favored by 10.5 against Texas on Saturday. Maybe Texas pulls a shocking upset—they’ve done that before only to have a much worse season than Oklahoma multiple times this decade—but I don’t see it. The Sooners have the league’s best roster, and they’re built to make the playoff.
Oklahoma is the Big 12's best team. But Texas being crowned the league's second best team is crazy. Baylor ranks better in SP+ and has a massively better defense. Texas could be better, but losing to an SEC team doesn't make you the Big 12's second best; it makes you Texas A&M.— Kendall (@kendallkaut) October 6, 2019
2) Baylor (5-0, 2-0)- Baylor has the Big 12’s most impressive victory over Iowa State. The Bears rank higher than Texas in SP+. They have a much better defense. And Baylor ranks substantially better in FEI.
3) Texas (4-1, 1-1)- Most people rank Texas better than Baylor. I need to see something beyond getting lit up by LSU to rank Texas ahead of the advanced metric-favored Bears. The Longhorns have one heck of an offense. Let’s see if they can play defense against Oklahoma.
4) Iowa State (3-2, 1-1)- Iowa State fans will look back and wonder what might have been with a few breaks against Iowa and Baylor. But that’s life.
5) Oklahoma State (3-2, 1-1)- While I’m aware this violates my general rule that head-to-head matters, I’m ranking the best teams. Texas Tech probably caught Oklahoma State on a bad day. The Cowboys would probably beat the Red Raiders a majority of the time.
6) Texas Tech (3-2, 1-1)- A nice win against Oklahoma State, but they’re a year or two away from being in the top four.
7) Kansas State (3-2, 0-2)- The Wildcats’ offense needs to get going. Their win against Mississippi State doesn’t have the value it once had.
8) TCU (3-2, 1-1)- The Horned Frogs need to improve at quarterback drastically if they hope to go bowling.
9) West Virginia (3-2, 1-1)- Maybe this team is better than we’re giving them credit for after playing Texas relatively close. I’m still a ways from maybe becoming reality.
10) Kansas (2-4, 0-2)- They’ll always have Boston College.