As always, these are predictive.
1) West Virginia- For the first time this season, the Mountaineers lead the rankings. I fear they’ll end up splitting the season series and Big 12 title with Oklahoma. But their defense is a good deal more reliable than Oklahoma’s.
2) Oklahoma- Kyler Murray is almost assured a spot in New York for the Heisman; their offense is better than West Virginia’s, but I don’t trust their defense to get them into the playoff right now.
3) Texas- The second half against Kansas State wasn’t inspiring. This team has quite a bit of talent and a chance to contend for the Big 12 title with a win against Oklahoma this week.
4) Texas Tech- The Red Raiders finished well. They need to be more consistent, as evidenced by their stretches against Ole Miss and West Virginia.
5) TCU- The Frogs feel a decent clip below the league’s top teams. This is still a quality team, but it’s not the possible playoff buster some thought.
6) Oklahoma State- Like most of the teams in this range, Oklahoma State is capable of knocking off someone above them. They also might lose to someone below them.
7) Iowa State- They came close against TCU, but this feels like a year where close games aren’t going their way.
8) Baylor- The Bears’ defense can’t be close to as bad as they were against Oklahoma to have any shot of getting to a bowl game. Next week is a must win to go bowling.
9) Kansas State- Bill Snyder has been angry all week. If Kansas State loses this week, the Wildcats aren’t making a bowl game.
10) Kansas- The David Beaty era will soon be over.