Today’s Events, Apr 21
- Baseball, at TCU, 6:30 PM, Listen
- Softball, at Oklahoma, 6:30 PM, Listen
- Women's Tennis, vs Kansas State, 5:00 PM
- Women's Golf, vs Big 12 Championship, All Day
Saturday’s Events, Apr 22
- Football, vs Spring Game, 12:00 PM, Watch Fox Sports Go
- Baseball, at TCU, 3:00 PM, Listen
- Softball, at Oklahoma, 2:00 PM, Listen
- Women's Soccer, vs SMU, 1:00 PM
- Men's Tennis, at Texas Tech, 6:00 PM
- Track, vs Michael Johnson Invitational, All Day
- Women's Golf, vs Big 12 Championship, All Day
Sunday’s Events, Apr 23
- Baseball, at TCU, 1:00 PM, Watch, Listen
- Softball, at Oklahoma, 12:00 PM, Listen
- Women's Tennis, vs Kansas, 1:00 PM
- Women's Golf, vs Big 12 Championship, All Day
- The No. 18 Baylor women’s tennis team (17-5) finishes its regular season with three Big 12 matchups at home. The week, which began with a win on Wednesday over No. 24 TCU, continues on Friday with a 5 p.m. matchup against Kansas State and ends with a Sunday dual at 1 p.m. against No. 27 Kansas. From Baylor Bears dot com.
“We have a great opportunity to play against three quality opponents at home to end our regular season,” head coach Joey Scrivano said. “We are capable of finishing the season strong and getting one step closer to reaching our potential as a team. I know our players are motivated to compete and give it their best. It all begins with the things we can control and that’s what we are focusing on heading into this last week.”
Cub Tennis, a free clinic for children 11-years-old and under, will take place one hour before each dual match this week. Children must wear athletic clothing and shoes to participate. Tennis equipment will be provided.
Following this week’s three-match home stand, the Lady Bears will open postseason action at the 2017 Big 12 Tennis Championship in Norman, Oka. The four-day event will be held at Headington Family Tennis Center from April 27-30. General admission all-session tickets are available for $15 (adults) and $10 (youth) at www.big12sports.com. Fans can also purchase $5 single-day tickets in person on the day of the event.
- Baylor women host Sunflower State tennis squads for Big 12 play, wacotrib.com, The No. 18 Baylor women's tennis team finishes its regular season as Kansas State and Kansas come to town.
- Shankle Named Big 12 Player of the Week - Baylor Official Athletic Site (BaylorWTennis), Baylor women’s tennis senior Blair Shankle was selected Big 12 Player of the Week for the third time this season on Monday afternoon. The Dallas, Texas, native has earned a total of six weekly conference honors in her career.
- No. 18 WTEN Triumphs Over No. 24 TCU - Baylor Official Athletic Site (BaylorWTennis), The No. 18 Baylor women's tennis team (18-5) defeated No. 24 TCU (13-8) 4-1 at Hurd Tennis Center on Wednesday evening. It is the fifth-straight victory for the Lady Bears, who continue their unblemished streak at home, 12-0.
- Schretter Named Big 12 Player of the Week - Baylor Official Athletic Site, Baylor men's tennis sophomore Johannes Schretter was selected as the Big 12 Player of the Week Tuesday by the conference office.
- Men's Tennis Falters Against No. 9 TCU, 4-1 - Baylor Official Athletic Site, The fourth-ranked Baylor men's tennis team suffered a 4-1 setback against No. 9 TCU Wednesday at the Hurd Tennis Center on Senior Day.
- MGs Ryan Blagg Named Jan Strickland Award Finalist - Baylor Official Athletic Site, Baylor mens golf assistant coach Ryan Blagg is one of six finalists for the 2017 Jan Strickland Outstanding Assistant Coach Award, presented by TaylorMade-adidas Golf and chosen by the GCAA.
- Women's Golf is Top Seed at Big 12 Championship - Baylor Official Athletic Site, Baylor women's golf is the No. 1 seed at the 2017 Big 12 Championship, which runs Friday through Sunday at The Dominion Country Club in San Antonio, Texas. It's the first time in program history the Lady Bears have been the league's No. 1 seed.
- No. 17 Baylor women aim for second Big 12 golf title in San Antonio | Baylor Women's Golf | wacotrib.com (WacoTrib.com), Same location, same result. At least that’s what the No. 17 Baylor women’s golf team envisions happening this weekend. Baylor returns to the Dominion Country Club in San Antonio as the top seed for the Big 12 Championships Friday, the same location where the Lady Bears won their first conference title two years ago.
- No. 13 Baylor softball aims to knock No. 8 Sooners off their throne, wacotrib.com, It’s an indisputable fact: The Big 12 softball championship always travels through Norman.
- First Place on the Line as OU Hosts Baylor - The Official Site of Oklahoma Sooner Sports (OU Athletics), Winners of 16 straight, No. 8/8 Oklahoma (39-7, 9-0 Big 12) hosts No. 15/13 Baylor (35-7, 8-1) this weekend in a three-game series.
- SB's McGlaun Named National Freshman of the Year Finalist - Baylor Official Athletic Site, Baylor softball’s Shelby McGlaun was named a Top 25 finalist for the Schutt Sports/NFCA Division I National Freshman of the Year award, announced Thursday by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association.
- Softball Cancels Doubleheader with Houston - Baylor Official Athletic Site, Baylor softball was forced to cancel Tuesday evenings doubleheader with Houston due to heavy rain that made the field unplayable, announced by the teams respective head coaches.
- Baylor baseball lets hair down entering TCU series, wacotrib.com, Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy calls his mullet haircut “the Arkansas Waterfall.” So does that mean that Davis Wendzel’s should be “the California Tidal Wave?”
- Baseball Faces No. 6 TCU on Road in Weekend Series - Baylor Official Athletic Site, Baylor baseball travels to Fort Worth, Texas to take on No. 6 TCU in a weekend three-game Big 12 series. The Bears and Horned Frogs will play Friday at 6:30 p.m. CT on FOX College Sports, Saturday at 3 p.m. on FOX Sports Southwest and Sunday at 1 p.m.
- Baseball Posts Walk-Off Win vs. Stephen F. Austin - Baylor Official Athletic Site, Baylor baseball earned 2-1 win over Stephen F. Austin on Tuesday night at Baylor Ballpark in walk-off fashion. The Bears (23-14) used back-to-back home runs to start the ninth to top the Lumberjacks (22-17).
- Baseball puts three on midseason lists (Baylor247), Montemayor, Cascadden, Seay represent Baylor on lists; Women's tennis takes down TCU. Montemayor, Cascadden, Seay represent Baylor on lists; Women's tennis takes down TCU.
Lady Bears Basketball
- Cave and Davis Ink WNBA Training Camp Contracts - Baylor Official Athletic Site, Seniors Khadijiah Cave and Nina Davis have both signed training camp contracts with defending champions Los Angeles Sparks. The Baylor womens basketball pair will be with the team for preseason preparation beginning on Sunday, April 23.
- Cave, Davis sign WNBA training camp contracts | Lady Bears Basketball | wacotrib.com, Seniors Khadijiah Cave and Nina Davis have signed training camp contracts with the defending WNBA champion Los Angeles Sparks.
Man Bears Basketball
- Baylor picks up Juco 7-footer commitment - Baylor - Scout (Scout.com), The Baylor Bears added a second commit for the 2017 recruiting class, signing under the radar Leonard Allen from San Diego City College.
Acrobatics & Tumbling
- A&Ts Kiara Nowlin Named NCATA Player of the Week - Baylor Official Athletic Site, Baylor acrobatics & tumbling senior top/base Kiara Nowlin was named National Collegiate Acrobatics & Tumbling Association (NCATA) Player of the Week, the organization announced Tuesday.
Track & Field
- 2017 Michael Johnson Invitational, Baylor Official Athletic Site, Baylor University will host the 2017 Michael Johnson Invitational, April 22, 2017 at Clyde Hart Track & Field Stadium. The event will feature top athletes from Baylor, Abilene Christian, Air Force, Angelo State, Cal. State-Fullerton, George Mason, Lamar, Miami, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, SMU, Stephen F. Austin, Tarleton State, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas A&M-CC, TCU and Texas Tech.
- Baylor Green & Gold Spring Game: Time and Information - Our Daily Bears, The Green & Gold game is this Saturday at noon.
- Football Readies For Green & Gold Game - Baylor Official Athletic Site, Baylor Football will hold its Green & Gold Spring Game presented by Jim Turner Chevrolet, Saturday, April 22, at McLane Stadium. The game is free and open to the public with kickoff scheduled for noon.
A family that prays together... pic.twitter.com/xOaCRJszHE— Baylor Football (@BUFootball) April 18, 2017
- BU sexual assault victim testifies on bill to change transcript rules (kwtx), A sexual assault victim at Baylor University who says her attacker was allowed transfer to avoid punishment, testified in support of a new bill intended to keep it from happening to others.
- Baylor Student Tells Why She Chose Baylor, From Dallas Morning News:
I knew that sexual assault was happening at Baylor University. I chose to be a part of the 2020 class anyway.
Once on campus, I found that . . . awareness was everywhere. Discussing Title IX was a prevalent part of the student culture. I, along with the rest of the students, completed online training required for registration, and I attended Baylor's second "It's on Us" seminar. The word "consent" was clearly defined, and students were encouraged to look out for one another in potentially dangerous situations. Every one of my professors addressed the touchy subject on the first day of classes.
Looking back, I find it odd that this topic defined my first few months of college, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Coming to Baylor during this season of rebuilding has taught me about the importance of educating myself on all topics, especially the hard ones.
Having knowledge of the allegations has not diminished my love for my school, like I once feared. The verse Luke 8:17 comes to mind: "For there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed, and nothing concealed that will not be known and illuminated."
It's as if God himself is keeping Baylor accountable to the biblical standards it is founded on. To me, this is reason enough for being proud to call Baylor my home. It's a place I see God moving, and a place I love being a part of.
- Lecture speaks on hook-up culture and sex | The Baylor Lariat, Students attended Dr. Jeremy Uecker’s lecture about Society and Sex at the Bill Daniel Student Center Thursday evening to listen to part of a four-part series titled “Let’s Talk About It.” Uecker, an assistant professor of sociology at Baylor, focused on describing what is actually happening among young adults in the United States with respect to hooking up and sexual behavior in a more general sense.
- Linda Livingstone, the first ever female president of Baylor University, points to her faith as a deciding factor in her acceptance of the job at the world's largest Baptist university. Full story at the Baptist Press.
"My personal faith commitment and my commitment to Jesus Christ was really important in this process," Livingstone, a former Baylor faculty member and dean, said in an April 18 telephone interview on local ABC affiliate KXXV-TV. "My family and I spent a lot of time and prayer and reflection as we looked at this opportunity as it played out, and it certainly was important in that."
In 1998, Livingstone was instrumental in another first for women, as reported by various media outlets -- co-chairing the search committee that brought the first female pastor into the Baptist General Convention of Texas, Julie Pennington-Russell. The church, Calvary Baptist in Waco, is affiliated nationally with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, a breakaway from the Southern Baptist Convention. Pennington-Russell is now pastor of First Baptist Church in Washington, D.C., where Livingtone is a member.
Livingstone's unanimous selection by Baylor's board of regents, chairman Ronald Murff said in an April 18 teleconference, was not provoked by the sexual assault scandal that unraveled the university's leadership in 2016 but was driven by a search for the best person for the job.
"Dr. Livingstone brings an accomplished academic career to Baylor, combined with a strong appreciation and support of Baylor's mission," Murff said. "A longtime Baptist and former Baylor faculty member, she has a passion for the distinctiveness of Baylor's Christian mission in higher education."
Are you seriously trying to spin Baylor's hire of an eminently qualified female president (the first in our history) as a negative? https://t.co/gfOySpwUex— OurDailyBears (@OurDailyBears) April 20, 2017
- Hiring a female president isn't a catch-all for Baylor sexual assault problem (espnW), While Linda Livingstone's hiring as Baylor's president may be a positive step, she will need free rein and the impetus to overhaul the university's culture, writes espnW's Kavitha Davidson.
- Department of Public Safety reorganizes, enhances BU police force | The Baylor Lariat (The Baylor Lariat), An external review of the Baylor Police Department resulted in the reorganization and enhancement of the Baylor University Police Department, including the hiring of a new police chief. Baylor’s vice president for facilities and operations, Brian Nicholson, sent an email to students, faculty and staff Wednesday afternoon with information about improvements Baylor’s Department of Public Safety has made since commissioning the review.
- Report: Baylor's Art Briles made more than Bob Stoops and Mike Gundy before he was fired | OU Sports Extra | tulsaworld.com, His 2015 base pay figure alone would have made Briles the nation’s fourth-highest-paid football coach, based on compensation information compiled by USA TODAY Sports. The three higher were Alabama's Nick . . .