2017 Big XII Champions
The Lady Bears will be celebrating their seventh consecutive Big XII Championship today in front of the home crowd inside the Ferrell Center as they take on the Lady Raiders at Noon today. Its Senior Day inside the Ferrell Center and Coach Kim Mulkey plans confetti and the whole celebration package for these seniors that have known nothing other than being a champion.
The Lady Bears clinched at least a share of the Big XII title as Texas lost at home to Iowa State on Friday. With a win today or on Monday against the Sooners, Baylor will win the conference championship outright.
It’s “white out” at the Ferrell Center today, so wear white. Also, they are giving away 10,000 (that’s right, ten thousand) free T-shirts. Famous OBF Quote: “Arrive early I’m guessing to get the size you want.”
Lady Bears vs. Lady Raiders, Noon today
The No. 4/3 Baylor Lady Bears take on Texas Tech in their final home game of the regular season on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2017. Tipoff is set for 12 p.m. (CT) inside the Ferrell Center. The senior class of Khadijiah Cave, Nina Davis, Alexis Jones and Alexis Prince will be honored at halftime for Senior Day.
Fans can watch the Lady Bears compete on Fox Sports Southwest with Kris Radcliffe (play-by-play) and Jim Haller (analyst) on the call. Live audio is also available on the Baylor Sports Network, IMG College and ESPN 1660 AM in Waco, Texas. Rick May (play-by-play) and Lori Fogelman (analyst) will call the action.
- As a part of Senior Day, the 2017 class will be recognized at halftime. The foursome will do its final walk following the game.
- The team will celebrate winning the Big 12 regular season title for the seventh season in a row.
- Head coach Kim Mulkey will also be honored for reaching the 500 wins milestone postgame.
- Baylor has accomplished eight Big 12 regular season championships and eight Big 12 tournament championships all-time. Each championship has occurred under the direction of head coach Kim Mulkey.
- Mulkey, who enters the game with a 499-94 record, has the opportunity to earn her 500th career victory. Every win of her career has come in her 17 seasons at Baylor.
- Mulkey would be the second-fastest Division I coach all-time to reach the 500 wins mark with a win on Saturday (594 games). The only coach to do it faster is her longtime mentor Leon Barmore, who reached the milestone in 576 games as a head coach.
BAYLOR IN THE BIG 12...
• The Lady Bears, who are back in the driver's seat of the regular season race, lead the Big 12 in 17 statistical categories, including scoring offense (88.8), scoring defense (54.5), scoring margin (+34.3), field goal percentage (.491), field goal percentage defense (.307), three-point field goal percentage (.396), three-point field goal percentage defense (.263), rebounding offense (52.1), rebounding defense (30.9), rebounding margin (+21.2), blocked shots per game (8.3), assists per game (22.0), assist to turnover ratio (1.7), offensive rebounds per game (18.2), defensive rebounds per game (33.9), defensive rebound percentage (.759) and offensive rebound percentage (.476). • Two Lady Bears rank in the top 12 individually in scoring: No. 6 Kalani Brown (14.3) and No. 12 Alexis Jones (13.9). • Four of the top six field goal percentage shooters are Lady Bears: No. 2 Brown (.659), No. 3 Khadijiah Cave (.634), No. 4 Beatrice Mompremier (.570) and No. 6 Nina Davis (.545). • Three players are in the top 15 in rebounds, including No. 5 Brown (8.3), No. 13 Mompremier (6.4) and No. 14 Alexis Prince (6.0). • Two of the top five in assists are on Baylor's roster, including No. 2 Kristy Wallace (5.1) and No. 4 Jones (4.8). The pair is also in the top three in assist to turnover ratio: No. 1 Wallace (3.0), No. 3 Jones (2.3). • Two are in the top five in the conference in three-point field goal percentage: No. 3 Jones (.421) and No. 5 Prince (.402). Jones is also sixth in three-point field goals made per game (2.2). • Three of the top 10 shot blockers in the conference are Lady Bears, including No. 4 Brown (1.9), No. 9 Lauren Cox (1.6) and No. 10 Mompremier (1.6). • After opening the Big 12 season 12-0 for the fourth time in program history (2011-12, 2012-13, 2014-15, 2016-17), the Lady Bears fell to No. 11/13 Texas, 85-79, to halt their 29-regular season game conference win streak. • Overall, BU is 251-95 (.725) in Big 12 action, including 224-58 (.794) under head coach Kim Mulkey.
Lady Raiders to Face No. 4/3 Baylor in Road Finale https://t.co/NjvpOhpD1V— Ohio Baylor Fan (@OhioBaylorFan) February 25, 2017
Lady Bears, Mulkey have carrots to chase on Senior Day - WacoTrib.com: Lady Bears Basketball, Kim Mulkey never lacks incentive for winning. Doesn’t matter the activity, doesn’t matter the day of the week. The veteran Baylor coach wants to win – period.
Lady Raiders’ last chance to win on the road is vs. No. 4 Baylor | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, It is no secret Texas Tech has not played well on the road this season.
Mulkey goes for win no. 500 on senior day versus Texas Tech | The Baylor Lariat, "Look at their record here, there’s so much to be said about them," Mulkey said. "The one thing missing is a Final Four… I think they will all tell you that is our goal this year."
Please use this article for today’s Lady Bears Basketball Gamethread.
Highlights from February 4 at Texas Tech
The Lady Bears will be playing without their leading scorer Senior Point Guard Alexis Jones who is out with a bruised bone in her knee. Our Daily Bears has that story here.