We traditionally do these based on how I think the league will end, but we’re switching things up this week. I think KU will win the league. By the end of the season, I think they’ll be a Final Four contender. But the Jayhawks are a mess right now.
Rankings if the teams played on a neutral court tomorrow:
1) West Virginia- After an opening game loss to Texas A&M, West Virginia has been excellent. They handled a very good Virginia team.
2) TCU- It seems wild to place them so high, but they have a quality win over Nevada. The Frogs returned all five starters from last season’s NIT title team.
3) Baylor- The Bears had two tough losses, but both of those are to top 10 teams. If Nuni Omot keeps nailing 3s, the Bears will finish close to this spot in the league.
4) Kansas- The Jayhawks were embarrassed in Kansas City against a bad Washington team. Then they started out up 15-2 at home against Arizona State. The Jayhawks lost that game too. KU is 349th in getting to the line. This team needs Billy Preston.
5) Texas Tech- They rank No. 17 on KenPom, largely based on their domination of Northwestern. Their lone loss is to a very good Seton Hall team.
6) Oklahoma- Trae Young has been the best player in the country. The Sooners lost to the best team they played, but this team should easily return to the tournament.
7) Texas- The Longhorns two losses are very respectable. They have excellent moments too. But the offense still struggles mightily. A very high ceiling and a very low floor.
8) Oklahoma State- Kansas State could move past them, but the Cowboys played Wichita State close and look much better since their early season play.
9) Kansas State- The Wildcats had two decent non-conference games. They lost both. Kansas State should be better, and their 4-of-31 performance from three explains a lot of their loss to Tulsa. Still, the Wildcats resume is bad.
10) Iowa State- Yes, the Cyclones have looked much better since starting 0-2. But in a league where everyone ranks in the top 70 on KenPom, somebody has to be last. I still don’t believe the Cyclones are better than last in this league.