I’ll be on the road some today, so I don’t have time to do the usual conference by conference break down. But here’s my prediction for how the playoff field ends up (not what it should be or would be today):
1) Alabama- They’re the best team in the country and should be significant favorites in every game until the SEC Champion against Georgia. It’d be shocking if the Tide missed the playoff.
2) TCU- The Frogs have looked fantastic for most of the season. With a non-conference power five victory and a win in Stillwater, the Frogs will have a very good resume.
3) Penn State- Ohio State will probably be a slight favorite in this week’s contest. But Penn State has been better than Ohio State for two seasons. They’ll win in Columbus and beat Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game.
4) Clemson- If the Tigers win out, they’ll have a conference championship, a win over Miami and the credibility of being the defending national champions. That will win out over a one loss team from the PAC-12, Notre Dame or Georgia.
1) Saquon Barkley- I’d vote for Bryce Love, but team success has been paramount for recent running back winners. His great receiving numbers will propel him to the award.
2) Bryce Love- He should win. His team’s early losses and playing in the PAC-12 will make it tough for him to become the PAC-12’s first winner since Reggie Bush. He’s broken off a run of at least 53 yards in every game and is averaging 10.3 yards per carry. Barkley deserves to win it most seasons. Love is not having a season like most.
3) Baker Mayfield- His statistics and ability to bring the Sooners back are huge. Oklahoma is probably an 8-4 team without him. How close they end up to 8-4 will dictate if he has a shot to win the Heisman.