In an attempt to increase the knowledge of Bears everywhere on the league we play in, I will make this a weekly FanPost to provide ODB readers with trivia, facts, figures, and other bathroom-reader type information surrounding the Big 12. Feel free to use this information for topic starters, tailgate banter, and impress your friends and family with your supreme knowledge of the Big 12. Enjoy.
BAYLOR (vs Northwestern St)
Friday 9/2 @ 6:30p in Waco, TX
- Baylor has the nation's best home record since 2011 at 29-3.
- Senior RB Shock Linwood (3,662 yds.) is 204 yards away from breaking Walter Abercrombie’s school rushing record of 3,665. He also needs 2 rushing TDs to set a new BU career mark.
- Baylor has won 7-straight openers and has started the last 6 years with at least 2 straight wins.
- Baylor is the most successful team in Texas since 2011 with win percentage of .769 (50-15).
- Phil Bennett’s defense has forced at least one turnover in 27 of its last 29 games and 58 of 65 games (80 INTs, 55 FR)
- Last time against NWState, Sophomore QB Seth Russell made his first career start and threw for 438 yards and 5 TDs in the 1st half, both Baylor records for a half. He sat out the 2nd half.
Saturday 9/3 @ 7:00p in Ames, IA
- Saturday night will be the debut of the "Matt Campbell Era" in Cyclone football. Campbell compiled a 35-15 record with the Rockets, taking his teams to a bowl game in three of his four seasons.
- At 36 years old, Campbell is the youngest current coach at a "Power 5" school in college football.
- ISU has tallied over 50,000 fans in Jack Trice Stadium in a school-record 32-straight games.
- Iowa State sophomore RB Mike Warren led all FBS freshman rushers in 2015 with 1,339 yards and led the Big 12 in rushing (league games only) at 134.7 yards per game.
- Senior DE Mitchell Meyers will make his return to the field in 2016 after sitting out the 2015 season when he was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
Saturday 9/3 @ 6:00p in Lawrence, KS
- Kansas will go for its 30th home, nonconference victory since 2003 when they host the Rams.
- Kansas returns nearly all of its statistical leaders in 2016 including every passing yard accounted for in 2015.
- In 2015 the Jayhawks were one of the youngest teams in the country as they tied for first in first-time players (39) and first-time starters (33). Among the first-time starters, 10 were true freshmen or redshirt freshmen.
- Defensively, the Jayhawks return their top-five leading tacklers from a season ago, highlighted by the nation’s solo tackles leader Fish Smithson (111 total stops) and linebackers Joe Dineen Jr. (86 tackles) and Marcquis Roberts (71 tackles).
- K-State brings back nine starters on defense, and includes two on the line, three linebackers and four in the secondary.
- A K-State win would represent the Wildcats’ first non-conference true road victory against a top-25 team in school history.
- Out of 509 all-time program wins, 37.9-percent have come under Bill Snyder (193 wins).
- Kansas State had one of its better seasons in terms of sacks in 2015, recording 38 to rank third in the Big 12, tie for ninth the in the nation.
- Kansas State has returned a kickoff for a touchdown in each of the last 11 seasons, which is the longest streak in the nation.
- The Wildcats’ 2016 offensive line must grow up in a hurry as the unit has a combined 17 career starts: 13 by Dalton Risner and four by Terrale Johnson.
- This marks just the second time under Stoops that Oklahoma is opening the season against a ranked team.
- Oklahoma (11-2) and Houston (13-1) posted the best combined 2015 record (24-3) of any two teams that will meet in week one this season.
- Oklahoma has 42 Texans on its roster, including 10 from the surrounding Houston metro area.
- Oklahoma welcomes back the bulk of its offensive statistical production from 2015, returning 92.1 percent of its total offense, 92.4 percent of its passing yards, 91.7 percent of its rushing yards, 53.6 percent of its receiving yards and 81.3 percent of its scoring.
- Junior RB Samaje Perine ranks 10th in Oklahoma history with 3,062 career rushing yards and is just 1,056 yards shy of Billy Sims’ school record of 4,118 yards.
- In the last six seasons, 31 Sooners have been taken in the NFL Draft (the Big 12 school with the next highest total is Baylor with 23).
- According to Phil Steele, the Cowboys boast the most experienced team in the Big 12 and the sixth-most experienced team in the nation. The offensive line alone has 101 career starts.
- Since the start of the 2010 season, Oklahoma State is 46-5 against teams not ranked in the Associated Press Top 25.
- Oklahoma State's week one depth chart includes five offensive newcomers and three defensive newcomers.
- QB Mason Rudolph’s 14.28 yards per pass completion in 2015 ranks No. 1 among returning quarterbacks who passed for a minimum of 2,500 yards last season.
- WR James Washington is the conference’s only returning 1,000-yard receiver and led all returning Big 12 wideouts in yards per game and touchdowns last season.
- The Horned Frogs return 13 starters (seven defensive, six offensive) from last season. That total doesn’t include six starters (four defensive, two offensive) who were sidelined for the year due to injury.
- The Horned Frogs have finished in the top 10 in the last two seasons and five times in the past eight years.
- TCU ranks second nationally (to Baylor) in most 700-yard games offensively the last two seasons. TCU & Baylor were the only teams to reach 700 yards on multiple occasions last year.
- TCU surrendered only 69 combined points in the second half and overtimes of its last nine contests (7.7 per game).
- TCU has reached the 11-win mark eight times in the last 11 seasons.
- Notre Dame and Texas are college football's second- and third-winningest programs respectively.
- BEVO XIV passed away last year, so the Notre Dame game will be BEVO XV's debut.
- Texas is one of just 24 schools in the entire country with 17-or-fewer seniors, including just seven of those seniors who are on the offensive side of the ball.
- As he begins his final season in Austin just 208 rushing yards shy of 1,000 career yards, QB Tyrone Swoopes could join Colt McCoy and Vince Young as the only three quarterbacks in school history to pass for 3,000 yards and rush for at least 1,000 in a career.
- Of the Longhorns’ 40 touchdowns scored in 2015, 33 of the 40 (82.5%) came from players returning in 2016.
- Sixth-year senior Sheroid Evans hasn't played in a live-game in 1,068 days after two torn ACL injuries.
- Texas Tech boasted one of the nation’s most high-powered offenses a year ago as the Red Raiders averaged a school-record 45.1 points per game.
- Texas Tech is the only school in the country to rank among the top 15 teams for total offense and top 10 for passing offense in every season since 2002.
- In his first full season as a starter, QB Patrick Mahomes threw for 4,653 yards and 36 touchdowns while adding another 456 yards and 10 touchdowns on the ground. He is the youngest player in NCAA FBS history to record 5,000 yards of total offense
- At the age of 37, Kingsbury is the second-youngest head coach in a power-five conference (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC) and the third-youngest coach in the FBS.
- The Red Raiders return eight different receivers who caught a touchdown a year ago, led by Davis who snagged eight.
- The Mountaineers have 14 senior starters on its depth chart and 20 seniors on its two deep, most in the Big 12.
- The WVU offensive line has 84 career starts returning in 2016/No. 2 among Big 12 teams.
- WVU returns 46.3 percent of its offensive running production from the 2015 season, returning 1,374 of its 2,967 yards and 74.3 percent of its offensive receiving production from the 2015 season, returning 2,428 of its 3,269 yards
- In 2015, WVU’s defense was ranked No. 2 nationally in interceptions, No. 5 in turnovers gained, tied for No. 8 in number of defensive three-and-outs, No. 11 in opponents third-down defense and No. 15 in turnover margin
- Under Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia is 18-4 when scoring 40 or more points. Since 2000, the Mountaineers are 51-4 when hitting the 40-point plateau.