Lady Bears Basketball
- After two weeks without a game, the No. 3/4 Baylor Lady Bears open Big 12 Conference action inside the Ferrell Center Today, Dec. 29, against Kansas State. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. (CT), Watch (premium stream), Listen (free).
Big XII Digital Network on 2016 Conference Play
- The Baylor women’s basketball team was given the opportunity to grade themselves on the first 12 games of their season after they returned to Waco this week after a 12-day break for the holidays. Story by WacoTrib’s Tony Adame.
They gave themselves, their No. 3 national ranking and 11-1 record a big, fat ‘A’ — and it’s hard to argue with them after four wins over ranked teams already under their belts.
For their efforts, Baylor coach Kim Mulkey wrote that ‘A’ on a dry-erase board.
“Then I put a big X through it,” she said. “Because I don’t care about it anymore. Pat yourselves on the back. This part of your schedule, phase two, is for a championship … all we’re focused on now is a Big 12 championship.”
Mulkey’s point is underlined by the beginning of Big 12 play on Thursday night, with surprising Kansas State (10-2) visiting the Ferrell Center. Continue Reading.
- K-State will begin its Big 12 schedule on Thursday with a trip to (3/4) Baylor. From The Mercury, Manhattan, Kansas.
Game time in Waco is set for 7 p.m., in the Ferrell Center. The game will be available on FOX Sports Plus.
K-State made a one-week appearance in the Associated Press top 25 before dropping its final nonconference game of 2016 with a 67-59 loss at Northern Iowa on Dec. 22.
Over the last four games, K-State is averaging 59.8 points per game and allowing 58.3. The Wildcats have been outrebounded in three of the last four games. In the previous eight games to open the season, the Wildcats were averaging 71.4 points and allowing 50.6 and had the edge on the glass. Continue Reading.
- In case you've forgotten, American Airlines Center is hosting the Women's Final Four at the end of this college basketball season. Story by Chuck Carlton of the Dallas Morning News.
With the Big 12 starting league play Thursday, the conference will learn in three months whether it will have an active rooting interest in the Final Four in addition to hosting it.
Here are five questions and -- just maybe -- some answers: Continue Reading.
- The full game video of the Cactus Bowl has been posted several times on YouTube. Here is one posted by the Moscow Bruins. I didn’t know they had football in Moscow, let alone follow the Baylor Bears and take their name after them.
Back in the USA, from coast to coast, Baylor is in the news with yet another Bowl victory.
- Bears rock Boise State in Cactus Bowl, 31-12 - WacoTrib.com: Baylor Bears Football, PHOENIX, Ariz. – After enduring one of the most difficult seasons imaginable, Baylor could have easily mailed it in for the Cactus Bowl and ended the season with its seventh straight loss.
- Boise State vs. Baylor | Cactus Bowl notebook | Dec. 27, 2016 | Idaho Statesman, Junior had three plays of 30 yards or more in the first half and became first receiver in five years to put up 200 yards on Boise State.
- Baylor’s Cannon bolting to NFL after career game - WacoTrib.com: Baylor Bears Football, KD Cannon’s career-best game will be his last one at Baylor.
- College Sports: KD Cannon dedicates Baylor's Cactus Bowl win to Art Briles | SportsDay, Baylor soundly beat Boise State on Wednesday 31-12 largely thanks to the performance of wide receiver K.D. Cannon.Cannon set a career high with 226...
- What's next for Baylor football following tumultuous 2016 season, Jim Grobe finished his interim campaign at Baylor with a 7-6 record, but about what's left for new head coach Matt Rhule ... . The Bears have some major work ahead of them.
- Smith, Baylor dominate Boise State in Cactus Bowl | Sports | cleburnetimesreview.com, Facing Boise State in the Cactus Bowl on Tuesday night, Grandview’s Zach Smith and his Baylor Bears snapped a six-game losing streak with a dominant 31-12 win to end the
- Baylor blitzes Boise State in Cactus Bowl — Sports — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine, PHOENIX — Baylor found a go-to combination to take into next season while finishing a frustrating 2016 season on a dominating note.True freshman quarterback Zach Smith passed for 375 yards and three touchdowns, and junior wide receiver KD Cannon had 14 receptions for 226 and two TDs in the Bears’ [...] Maine news, sports, politics and election results, and obituaries from the Bangor Daily News.
- Baylor Bears WR KD Cannon to enter NFL draft after strong performance against Boise State Broncos, Citing his family's best interest, and coming off a strong Cactus Bowl performance, Baylor WR KD Cannon announced Wednesday that he was declaring for the draft.
- Baylor easily handles Boise State to win the Cactus Bowl - LA Times, KD Cannon had 14 catches for a Cactus Bowl-record 226 yards and two touchdowns, helping Baylor end a difficult season with a 31-12 victory over Boise State on Tuesday night. Baylor (7-6) went into a downward spiral the last half of the season after opening with six straight wins. Quarterback Seth...
- A bear of a night | KTVB.COM, Boise State was dressed in its “Phoenix wear,” the white jerseys, orange pants and blue helmets from Fiesta Bowl lore. But the magic elixir must have been hiding in Glendale last night.
Man Bears Basketball
College basketball’s biggest surprise — and perhaps disappointment — are practically neighbors, I-35 rivals located 102 miles apart. From MyStatesman dot com.
As the calendar closes on 2016 and conference season begins, third-ranked Baylor is the team virtually nobody saw coming, one of six remaining unbeatens in the country.
And Texas could be the most baffling club in the nation, a mere 6-6 against the 100th-rated schedule, including home losses to Kent State and Texas-Arlington.
A special holiday version of Planting The Seeds, the American-Statesman’s annual NCAA Tournament projections, gives Baylor a No. 1 seed, along with defending national champ Villanova, Big 12 kingpin Kansas and undefeated UCLA.
The Bears own the nation’s best résumé — 3-0 vs. Top 25 teams and 5-0 vs. the RPI top 50. They did not receive a single point in the AP preseason poll. Now they have 1,458 points.
Texas, 21st in the preseason poll, is a long, long shot to make the NCAA field. The Longhorns’ best win is over Alabama, rated 80th in the Ken Pomeroy index and 82nd by Jeff Sagarin. The Horns are 147th in the Ratings Percentage Index and in the 75-85 range in most computers. Continue reading.
Lest we Forget
In a game where the Longhorns desperately needed to win, the Jayhawks pulled the upset. From FoxSports.
It's a loss that sent the internet in an uproar and ... cost Charlie Strong his job. But while we could sit here and throw out all sorts of facts and figures on the loss and -- wait a second, that sounds like a great idea.
Here are 9 insane facts, about the most stunning loss of the season. Continue reading.