To say that the start of the 2013 season was about as polar opposite you could get between Baylor and ISU would be a fair assessment. As the Bears performed like a Texas thoroughbred, the Cyclones were limping out of the gate. They lost their opener to Northern Iowa University, a FCS team, and then lost at home to arch-rival Iowa. ISU pulled out a victory against Tulsa but then lost a controversial game to the Austin cows and another close one to the techies.
Unfortunately for the 'Clones, they would have to face a Baylor squad looking to prove that their struggling against KSU was just a fluke. Combined with the fact that it was Baylor homecoming and there really wasn't much ISU could do to prevent the onslaught they were about to receive.
It took a trick play to spark the Baylor offense, but once it did, they were in top gear for the rest of the game. Antwan Goodley was an unstoppable force as he racked up 11 catches and 2 touchdowns while Lache Seastunk and Glasco Martin pounded the Cyclone front seven for nearly 200 yards and 2 touchdowns. Petty was in good form connecting on 23 of 31 passes for 343 yards as well.
The defense played with a chip on their shoulder as they held the ISU offense to just 174 total yards, the lowest total in over a decade, and nearly forced a shutout as the Cyclones were held scoreless for over 59 minutes of the game.
Even the normally lackluster special teams played well as Levi Norwood scored a touchdown on a punt return, Corey Coleman scored on a kickoff return and Stork, Aaron Jones, made all three of his field goal attempts (I KNOW RIGHT?!).
Fun facts from the game courtesy of BaylorBears.com:
• With 714 yards of total offense in the game, the Bears have had at least 400 yards of total offense in 33 straight games dating back to Dec. 29, 2011 -- the 33-game streak is the nation's longest active streak (Texas A&M is next closest at 19 straight entering the day).
• Baylor's 714 yards of total offense rank fifth all-time in single-game history -- Baylor has four such games this season and had two total prior to 2013.
• Baylor has four 70-point game this season -- prior to 2013, Baylor had three such games in its 111 years of football.
• Baylor's 174 total yards given up are the fewest since it has given up since allowing 172 to Arkansas State on Sept. 8, 2001. QB Bryce Petty completed 23-of-31 passes for 342 yards and 2 TDs, and he rushed for his 5th TD of the year. He's thrown for 300+ yards and 2+ TDs in all six career starts.
• WR Antwan Goodley had a 4-yard TD catch in the 1st quarter and a 36-yard TD catch in the 2nd quarter -- he now has 8 TD receptions on the season after entering the year with 2 TD catches in 24 career games played. His 8 TDs on the season are tied for 6th-most in a season in Baylor history.
• Goodley had a career-high 11 receptions, tying the 9th-most in a game in program history.
• Goodley (career-high 182 yards -- 9th-best in BU history) had his 5th career game with 100+ receiving yards, tying him with Bruce Davis for 8th-most in BU history.
• IR Tevin Reese had his 11th career 100-yard receiving game, passing Gerald McNeil and Reggie Newhousefor sole possession of 3rd-most in program history.
• Goodley extended his streak to 7 consecutive games with a receiving TD, but Reese's streak was snapped at 7 games.
• RB Lache Seastrunk (18 carries, 112 yards, 2 TDs) has rushed for 100+ yards in 10 of his last 11 games.
• Seastrunk had 2 rushing touchdowns to give him 17 for his career -- he's one rushing TD shy of cracking Baylor's career top 10.
Box Score from BaylorBears.com
First Look: Iowa State Cyclones
Baylor vs. Iowa State Stats Preview
OurDailyPodcast Episode 11: Grooming Tips and Panera Bread Music with Spencer Hall
Baylor vs. Iowa State Preview / Prediction / Poll Thread
Baylor Sacrifices Iowa State to Angry Football Gods 71-7 To Reach 6-0
Thoughts on Baylor's Decimation of Iowa State and Reaching 6-0
Baylor vs. Iowa State: The Morning After -- Links, Highlights, Tweets, and Everything Internet
Baylor Rises to #5 in Coaches, Harris Polls, #6 in AP before BCS Debut
Baylor Debuts at #8 in 2013 BCS Rankings
Baylor Unleashes Fury on Iowa State during Homecoming ... in .GIFs!
VIDEOS: Behind the Scenes vs. Iowa State and Baylor's 104th Homecoming!
OurDailyPodcast Episode 12: Travishamockeries and Epic Beatdowns