It's an evening DBR again today, but this time because there just wasn't that much news published this morning when I looked to put this together. I've been clipping stories all day and we have a sizable collection now worthy of your perusal.
We're going to begin with Baylor MBB, which bounced back last night against OU in Norman. Perry Jones III features prominently in most of these articles...
- Tuesday recap: A first for Perry Jones III - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN- Player of the Night - Perry Jones III For all of the hype surrounding Jones in his two years in Waco, he'd never had a 20-point, 10-rebound game.
- Baylor Rights the Ship, Not About To Collapse Again " Rush The Court
- Losses to top-5 teams not big blow to Baylor- Baylor's basketball teams couldn't go unbeaten forever. The women still have their aura of invincibility, but the men were knocked down a few pegs, enduring a blowout loss at Kansas and falling at home to Missouri.
- No. 6 Baylor ends brief skid, beats Oklahoma 77-65 - Boston.com- Coach Lon Kruger provides a regular countdown for his players of how many games are left in Oklahoma's season.
- Baylor's Talent Proves Too Much For Oklahoma As They Down The Sooners 77-65 - Crimson And Cream Machine
- Analysis: Baylor 77, Oklahoma 65 - Oklahoma Sooners Blog - ESPN
- MBB: Saturday's Game vs. Texas Sold Out - Baylor Bears Official Athletic Site - BaylorBears.com- Saturday's men's basketball matchup between No. 6 Baylor and Texas is sold out, the Baylor Department of Athletics announced Wednesday.- Huge news considering this had never happened before the Mizzou game and now it's happened twice in a row. Great job, Baylor fans!
- Speaking of the Baylor-UT game: Baylor’s NBA Prospects | Barking Carnival
I'm doing an "NBA Draft Toolbox" series over at SB Nation, and I have a look at how Baylor's players project at the next level. Baylor has the deepest front-court in the country, which is pretty bad news for a UT team with one scholarship player above 6'7.
Texas A&M Could Miss NCAA Tournament For First Time In Six Years - SB Nation Houston
Not many teams can say they have made the NCAA Tournament each of the last six seasons. The Texas A&M Aggies are one of those teams. The Aggies (11-8, 2-5 Big 12) are in serious danger of missing...
- Top-Ranked Women's Hoops Takes on OU - Baylor Bears Official Athletic Site - BaylorBears.com- The top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears will be playing two games in a three-day span when they travel to Norman, Okla., to play the Oklahoma Sooners on Thursday, Jan. 26, at 7 p.m., before returning home to host the Kansas Jayhawks on Saturday, Jan. 28, at 7 p.m. The Baylor/Oklahoma game will be broadcast nationally on Fox Sports Network.
- Baylor Football, Post-Griffin - NYTimes.com- Without Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III, the 2012 season will test the depth of the Baylor Bears.
- Baylor the biggest Big 12 overachiever - Big 12 Blog - ESPN- The signing day bonanza is next Wednesday, Feb. 1, but what teams have done the most with the least talent? Since 2007, that title goes to Baylor...
- Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III selected winner of the annual Manning Award | NOLA.com- Now that Robert Griffin III has the Manning Award, he might wind up with one of the Mannings’ job. Griffin, who was chosen on Tuesday as the winner of the award that goes to the nation’s top collegiate quarterback, said if he is the No. 1 pick in NFL draft, he hopes Peyton Manning is still a part of...
- On the recruiting front, the last 24 hours have been relatively disappointing for Baylor as two of its primary targets confirmed that they will remain committed to their previous schools. Dominique Wheeler, a 4* WR that Baylor hoped to pair at outside receiver with Corey Coleman on the inside, tweeted last night that he will sign with Texas Tech. This afternoon, Ladarius Newbold, a DB targeted by Baylor defensive coordinator Phil Bennett, announced the same today. Both had been rumored to be switching as soon as last night, but it was not to be. I can't begrudge them their decision, I just hope they have fun with the TERRIBLE SANDSTORMS.
- Also, in case you don't pay as much attention to these things as I do, the last seven days have been pretty rough on our collie-loving neighbors to the east in recruiting. A&M lost 4* #1-ranked JUCO RB Marion Grice (reportedly because of qualification issues), 4* DB Colin Blake (now considering TCU, OU, and FSU, I believe), and 4* OL Michael Wilson (switched to Oklahoma State). Rumor has it that 5* RB Trey Williams has been extremely concerned about Sumlin's offense and will visit OSU this weekend after having visited Arkansas last weekend. That'll be another to watch.
UPDATE: #2-ranked Missouri just lost to Oklahoma State in Stillwater. I did not see that coming.