I like to make fun of Texas A&M around here for obvious reasons and the rivalry will always exist in one form or another, but news like what happened yesterday is no laughing matter. For those who don't know, reports came out yesterday afternoon that an offensive lineman for our cousins in College Station named Joseph Villavisencio was killed in a car accident while returning home for the Christmas holidays. I don't need to describe how awful of a situation this is for his family, his teammates, or the Texas A&M fans so follow their team so passionately, so I will simply say that they should all be in our prayers this weekend as we spend time with our own families. I saw on twitter that several of Joseph's teammates are working to make sure someone wears his number in A&M's bowl game, and I think that will be one small part of a fitting tribute to Villavisencio.
That news item will lead off the links today just so that people who want more information about what happened can know where to find it.
- Texas A&M Player Dies In Highway Crash- KWTX.com talks a little bit about the story.
Texas A&M lineman killed in car crash - CBS News
Joseph Villavisencio apparently swerved to avoid a buzzard and veered head-on into the path of an 18- wheeler
Villavisencio spent part of Thursday with the team delivering gifts to families at a local shelter after the Aggies finished their last workout on campus in preparation for the Meineke Car Care Bowl. Villavisencio was heading to his home in Jacksonville, Texas, at the time of the crash.
- Kellen Moore’s 50th win is the biggest story in College Football - TC Arizona Sports- I completely disagree. I don't understand why Moore gets a pass for his team's opposition where his team doesn't in public opinion. I am still much more impressed by the record he broke-- that of UT's Colt McCoy-- than I am of Moore's. McCoy faced much more difficult competition every week than Moore did and was still able to put up ridiculous win numbers.
- College Football Analysis: Matt Barkley, Charlie Weis, Dayne Crist and More- I talked about this yesterday a bit, but Barkley is returning to USC, which means RG3 will almost definitely remain in the draft. He will be the second QB taken and there's no way he gets past the Redskins at 7. Please God let someone trade up above the Redskins.
Question's about Robert Griffin III and the Baylor offense arise - Mocking The Draft
This was bound to happen. Before he's even announced whether he'll enter the 2012 NFL Draft, Robert Griffin III is already coming under scrutiny.
What Does Matt Barkley Staying at USC Mean for Baylor's Robert Griffin III?
Earlier this month, my good friend Aaron Torres, managing editor of crystalballrun.com and I publicly discussed Matt Barkley’s future.
- 2011 Las Vegas Bowl - College Football Nation Blog - ESPN- A little bit more about the Kellen Moore lovefest that ESPN put on last night (and every night this week, actually).
- For Baylor, Experience Is Paying Off - NYTimes.com- Brittney Griner and Odyssey Sims of Baylor overpowered Connecticut.
- Miller, Jones III lead No. 6 Baylor over Saint Mary’s 72-59 at Las Vegas Invitational - The Washington Post- LAS VEGAS — Baylor keeps getting the job done by playing as a team.
- Jackson fitting in quickly at Baylor - Sports - ReviewJournal.com - Pierre Jackson has grown accustomed to winning. So it made sense that when it came time to play Division I basketball, he wasn't about to join some ragtag outfit or be part of a rebuilding project.
- Recap: Baylor vs. St Marys-CA - Sacramento Sports - Kings, 49ers, Raiders, High School Sports | Sacramento Bee
Saint Mary's Gaels vs. Baylor Bears - Recap - December 22, 2011 - ESPN
NCAA Men's Basketball Recap: Final statistics from the Saint Mary's Gaels vs. Baylor Bears game played on December 22, 2011
- (6) Baylor (11-0) vs. West Virginia (9-2) (ET) - KansasCity.com- The next game in the Las Vegas Invitational. I'll post something else about this later today.
As always, if you find something worth posting, post it!