This is a huge accomplishment for any player against any opponent. Congrats to Whitney for the great game, and to the rest of the team for the win. The no-hitter was Canion's career fifth, and it came against the champions of the Southland Conference.
Josh Michalec Sets Baseball's Saves Record in Win vs. TAMUCC - Baylor baseball topped Texas A&M Corpus Christi (Beach Aggies?) 8-4 on Wednesday night at Baylor Ballpark. Closer Josh Michalec set the saves record for program history as he closed out the game against the Islanders, who had held an early lead before a Baylor rally.
Men's Tennis Puts Quartet Into NCAA Singles, Doubles Championships - A quartet of Baylor men's tennis players will represent the Bears in the individual portion of the NCAA Tennis Championships starting May 21 in Athens, Ga.
Women's Tennis Places Four Into NCAA Individual Championships - Four Baylor women's tennis student-athletes have been selected to take part in the NCAA Tennis Singles and Doubles Championships starting May 21 in Athens, Ga.
Volleyball Wraps Successful Spring - The Baylor volleyball team enjoyed a successful non-traditional spring season in April by going 8-2 in 10 matches with BU's 3-1 win over SMU in Dallas closing out the offseason. These wins were by an injury and absence-plagued Baylor team, so the future looks very bright.
McLane Stadium Facts (New?)
A few nights ago, I was in a meeting where we were given information about McLane Stadium that was originally put out by Student Activities regarding game day activities for Baylor students. Out of respect for Student Activities, I can't reveal some of the information, but here are some confirmed facts (many of which have been speculated upon for months):
- There are 2,100 designated seats for the Baylor Line, with overflow seating in the grassy area beneath the scoreboard.
- There are 5,000 designated student seats. I feel like this will be enlarged soon.
- Student ticketing will be conducted online instead of at the SUB ticket booth. There will be a penalty if a student claims a ticket and does not use it for him or herself, but I cannot go into detail about the nature of the penalty. This should cut down on the ticket black market that emerged before big games last year.
- The student tailgate area will be much nicer than its Floyd Casey equivalent, with easy access to electricity and cable. The area is near the campus side of the footbridge.
- The Baylor Line will stretch from one 20 yard marker to the other, and will have three designated yell leaders instead of one. The entire opposing bench will be surrounded.
- After running in the Baylor Line, students will enter the stands by running up the tunnel from which the players emerged, taking a right, and being herded along a students-only concourse and into their seats. This rewards students who arrive early and form the tunnel, and gets rid of the fence-hopping culture that has emerged in recent years.
- There are two possibilities for the band on game day. The first is similar to their procedure at Floyd Casey. The second is a pre-game parade across the footbridge either before or after March of the Bears.
- We want to make the Kill Chant stadium-wide. That's on you guys.